Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Aerial Sphinx

"So... do you want a naughty dog story or a good dog story?" I asked. Josie and Lilly shouted, "A Sphinx story!" So this is a Sphinx story. ...a naughty cat story.

Finally, our cabin was being painted (long overdue). Sphinx (Florida orange tabby), typically used the dutch door to enter and exit the cabin. Alas, the dutch door was covered with plastic in preparation for paint spraying and so he was trapped in the cabin. He growled and complained to get out. Then growled and complained to come back in. Finally, in frustration, he positioned himself on the back porch, which is at least 20 feet off the ground, and in front of the giant redwood (Fragrant Sequoia) eight feet away, hesitated and then leapt. The rest you can see for yourself!















How is it that a family with three dogs came to have a cat?  Sphinx adopted us when we were living in Tallahassee back in about 2006. I was arriving home from work and pulling into the driveway when I noticed a charming orange tabby sitting by the garage door. I thought to myself, what a handsome cat. He had a lean Siamese cat build, was bright orange with spots (evidently these are  interrupted stripes). I opened the garage door and the cat rushed into the garage and started eating the dog food. This is when Sunny, Sky, and Keegan were all living with us. "Hungry kitty!" I thought to myself and retrieved a can of tuna from the pantry. I opened the tuna and placed it before him. He ravenously ate the food and looked at me. I rubbed his ears and went inside. Of course, this shows how little I know of cats. He never left and nobody ever claimed him. "What are you going to call him?" Jay asked. "I think we should call him Sphinx because he is mysterious." I replied. And that is how Sphinx adopted us.

No comments:

Post a Comment